The Three Graces - Three Paintings - Brickbottom Open Studios





I painted these paintings in a series starting with my new favorite green color. That painting led me to explore all sorts of interesting ideas such as different colors and reflections. The series culminated with the turquoise painting. Over the last six months they have been separated to appear in different shows and galleries at different times. They are back together again and I will be showing them at Brickbottom Open Studios this Saturday and Sunday from 12 to 6 PM.
Since they have been reunited I have begun to think of them collectively as "The Three Graces" (Yes, I have been reading classical mythology). I am going to change the titles to reflect my associations with them. Sometimes paintings take on a life of their own. Each of The Three Graces, often referred to collectively, has a name and attributions.

The Grace known as Aglaia means Splendor. She represents beauty, giving and charity. The painting in turquoise, reminds me of Aglaia.

The Grace known as Thalia means Sumptuous Feast. She represents charm and acceptance. Thalia encompasses a most generous hostess. The painting in red reminds me of Thalia.

The Grace known as Euphrosyne means Joy (Mirth). She represents merriment, good cheer and "returning". I think of her attribution "returning" as "giving back". She is the ideal guest, giving back her appreciation in good cheer, mirth and joy.

It's no surprise that it is believed that the Graces have an association with the arts and the Muses.

Comments

Popular Posts