From start to Finish - Stage I and II



This is going to be a little series on my method. This blog is for you, Heather.I thougt it might be fun to show everything in black and white until the end just to let you have some fun guessing what the colors will be.

I start with an idea. This idea was that I wanted to do a horizontal stack and work with some colors that typically do not show up in my work. I went to sleep thinking of this. The color combination came to me in a dream (really!). So the next day, I started pulling out my cups,bowls and dishes to build my still life. The background color was the toughest to choose.

After I set up, I did, as I typically do, a very sketchy sketch to look at composition and to determine the proportions of my painting. For this painting I chose 24 X 36 inches or 61 X 91 cm.And you can see here the sketch done with pencil. sometimes I will pick up charcoal (whichever is easier to find).




Stay tuned: next week, next stage.

Comments

Heather Whiting said…
I am certainly trying to guess the colours you will use and it will be funny to see if I get any of them right!:))) I love it when ideas come in a dream, yet I'm left feeling they're not really mine because I didn't labour over them - but who else's would they be?! I do so enjoy being able to witness your process like this and I truly look forward to the next installment. :)

Popular Posts