A humbling story


Here's the story, I promised you, about the cookie painting.

Three weeks go while I was in my studio on a Sunday afternoon, working and open to the public, a father with his two sons came wandering in by chance . As I like to do; I invited the two boys to touch my cookie painting. It was clear that the boys were delighting in my work and the fun of touching a painting.

They all left, only later to return with their mother to show her "THE cookies". As the parents looked at my paintings, the father turned to me and asked if I had shown with Alper's Fine Art (I had) because this family owned on of my pieces bought from Alper's. They had bought this painting,One Humble Home - 2001, because the oldest of the two boys, only a toddler eight years ago, had pointed at the painting and announced that the window was open! The parents, taken by his connection to the work and to the painting, bought it.

Fast forward eight years and here is the same child , older wiser and still making connections and observations about my work that most adults don' make. (turns out he's a Leo like me). We had never met before. I knew of the story through Alper's and here we are eight years later connecting, by chance? Once again: everything is connected to everything. And this was a very specal moment to meet the child I had only heard about and yet remebered so well.

My Secret Project. I have lost the battle. I am putting my work on hold, after six paintings. I have to ask myself "is this working?". My largest obstacle is the transient nature of the material and taking a photo doesnt capture it, so I cant take that easy route out.

But I am working on more laundry lines and cup paintings and they are all making me happy.

Comments

Popular Posts