Miscellaneous Musings


Hmm..I was hoping the lazy days of summer would start but so far I have been very very busy. Of course most of it is of my own making. For instance; I decided to do an encaustic portrait of a friend to submit to the Newton Art Association Library Show. I have always wanted to paint Miss X but I never really did get around to it. She will be leaving fr parts unknown soon so this is my last chance to paint her, really. However, I must be mad. A portrait is difficult as it is and to do one is encaustic seems nearly impossible. I may just throw the whole thing out when I am done. But I'll learn more from my big mistake than I will from my little successes.

Confucius supposedly said: "If the names are not correct, the judgments are not clear. If the judgments are not clear, the works are not accomplished." Now how does this apply to painting? Well, I think that in that eternal internal dialogue that I have with myself about a painting it is important to use the right words and names to describe what I am doing to myself. Perhaps if I can't find the words I won't be able to understand what I want to do.

And I would also like to post a commission piece which is completed. I titled it "The Storm Passed Over" It's 60 in X 46 in. I do like the physicality of painting large, I must say. I also like the intimacy of painting small. Hmmm. Maybe I'll do both!

Comments

cretangirl said…
Marion, Thanks for blogging-you are the first blogger who I've read from beginning to end- and the first one I've responded to. Met you at open studios FA 07 and was amazed by your sense of light and composition. I too came to painting later in life and find it difficult to work painting into the demands of my life-your writings and work have inspired me to persevere and find joy in painting again. Thank you...

Popular Posts