That's "Different"? or Why something different?

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1023504679/cso-auro/
Auro by Marian Dioguardi, oil on aluminium panel, 16 X 20 in.2018
"That's different for you" is what any painter is likely to hear when they start experimenting with new subject matter, style or technique. When I hear this about my work I think "well..it's actually different for you, not for me." 

It's me who's painting. For me it's not any different. It's a painting that has been living in my mind, sometimes for years. There are elements and interests that are consistent from one painting to the next: I  always work color as a compositional factor, I always use a texture to describe a subject and lastly, I always use my experiences and observations as ideas and subjects. I am a representational/realist painter. I am not an abstract painter and you will always recognize what I am painting.

However, for the sake of  my discussion, I will label Auro "different" for me. Some painters, especially those with reputations built on a particular subject matter such as landscape or portraiture hold on to that "brand". Brand refers to a set of particulars and characteristic which, for all intense and purposes, are the same. Painters, finding their brand of painting rewarding, happily walk down a one way street. I'm a more restless painter and my paintings and process take me down two way streets, alleys and byways and sometimes in circles.

My painting has many paths. It takes me here and there. Just because I never know where the paths might lead me; I do something "different".

About this painting: It was composed from a number of snap shots that I took with and ipad quickly walking down the 28 Santa Maria del Rossario in Catania, Sicily on a cloudy day in December, on my way to who knows where? It turns out that CSO Auro is a punk rock night club in Catania proving that no matter where you go there you are. Spit and the Rat forever with me.






Comments

Popular Posts