Ideas

Work in progress, oil on aluminum, by Marian Dioguardi c2015
I've been thinking quite a bit while watching myself work on these transparent cups. Every subject which is explored often seems like it comes out of no where but it hasn't. These transparent cups have had a "reservation" and were just waiting for an opening. The cups have been sitting on my shelf for at least three years.

There are patterns emerging from the work and maybe they will all converge someday into something unique. Only time will tell.

Pattern 1 - Color- time and time again there is a warm bright color pallet, most often with an eye for red or orange.

Pattern 2 - Subject - jumbles of objects often without a focal point. Composition and order are important to the painting  so nothing is truly chaotic, just busy and energetic. But these non- focal based paintings do break the rules by not having a focus or a place to rest the eye. In that way they are related to some abstract art.

Pattern 3 -Paint - paintings are about paint as much as they are about anything else, I keep going back to the palette knife which gives me the most direct and hapatic response to the paint.

There is no one subject or idea that has made itself at home in my work. The ideas come and go and some stay and some don't, all on their own free will.  I don't mind being the "Inn keeper" of ideas. I do my best to make ideas feel at home while they are here. I am always booking and hoping they keep their reservations.

Comments

Popular Posts