Painter's Block- After the Party

Little Cup Painting, 6 X 6 inches, Marian Dioguardi c2015

An artistic block can come in many forms: a pause, a hesitation, or a procrastination to "get back into the game". Sometimes it occurs from a genuine lack of creative ideas and motivation. That is the most difficult artistic block to deal with. However, never failing to have some idea, my block stems from a dip in confidence, especially coming off a very successful show such as Newton Open Studios or completing a break through painting.

The questions is "Can this success be matched or is it all down hill from here?" The only answer comes from what will happen and that is unknowable. That question alone cannot be enough to stop the future be it success or failure. To move forward, I move backward into the little paintings I know and love. I reacquaint myself with the comfort, joy and simplicity of painting without expectations. The past is a bridge to the future. I will move on and so it goes.

Comments

Popular Posts