Hanging Out with the Buoys of Maine

Old Buoys by Marian Dioguardi c2015, oil on panel 24 x 36 inches

This is not a photograph. Well, I take that back; it is a photo of the painting. It's cold, it's white out there and Boston is expecting more snow. This is the time when the brightest paintings are painted. 

When I posted this image on FB it was mistaken for a photograph.

Photo realism isn't my thing but that comment had me thinking, "of course it looks like a photograph. Buoys are just shapes that are painted. The painting is all about shapes that are painted with paint, so of course they look like so realistic."

Because the drawing is accurate even the wild splashes and marks of the oil paint work here to read three dimensional. I am finding this effect very fascinating. I love the easy going process where the colors are loosely mixed so that some colors stay clear and other blend to different levels. One stroke of the semi mixed paint puts the right effect on the buoy. I will post the final painting in the next couple of days.


Comments

Popular Posts