Where are the figures?

Many people ask me why I don't have more figures in my work.  I do like people and I also love to paint portraiture for my own pleasure.

SO, why DO my paintings NOT have people? It's because I grew up in the city, in a very very populated neighborhood with people stacked in homes called "triple deckers". For most of my childhood, my family of four children and two parents  lived in a five room apartment; no room unoccupied. My reflective and quiet moments alone came while hanging out the laundry from the back porch. This was a precious time. But my favorite time of the day was the minute before "supper" time when everyone, everywhere in this working class East Boston neighborhood would be at home sitting down for early evening supper and I  was not home yet.  Now, my favorite time on Burano is at the end of the day. Tourist head back. The mothers are cooking and all is good. Tutto Bene.

Where my empty cups are filled with anticipation and light; my empty streets are filled with  a dignified solitude and my childhood memories of a quiet luxury.

Comments

Popular Posts