Known and Unknown

Top - Known, photo reference dioguardi c2013
Bottom -Unknown, detail from painting  in process, Marian Dioguardi c2013


"... new discoveries and realizations happen at the interface between what is known and what is unknown."
Jon Kabat-Zinn

Argh! WHAT AM I DOING?! I don't really know what I am doing. I only know what I want to do and that is paint an excellent painting from a laundry line in Venice that  inspired me. 

Long ago the stucco facade fell from this stately building and was swept away. What remains? Bricks and mortar. Not finding the color of the concrete and mortar repairs inspiring I decided to paint the laundry line against an all brick building. Painstakingly, I painted what was a brick building, brick by brick. 

Guess what? I didn't like it. Too much brick,  too much complexity and so I began to paint over the brick. It was then I realized that I had in that moment a building as it might have been. I stopped painting it over and I left some of the brick exposed.  I found this interesting. 

Despite the fact that it is not typical of my previous paintings, I  "went with it". Sure it's not easy. It's challenging. It's not what I planned. It's unpredictable. It is not what it was suppose to be. It is what it will be. I am ready for the new discoveries.

Comments

Popular Posts