Painting from Observation

Copyrt 2012 Marian Dioguardi, oil on panel, 24 X 24 inches

When given the opportunity, I will always paint from observation. Every still life painting that  I paint is painted from the observation of a set up.

The observed painting is only a beginning. It's also important for me to have an idea, a strong composition, a strong color statement, and a painting that ends as exciting for me as it begins. Reality can only give a painting limited information. The painter has to give a painting more. 

I always end a painting after the still life is removed. In that way, I am no longer held to the observational reality. I am freed and I am able to give the painting what it asks for as a painting. Sometimes that means color changes, sometimes that means painting out or painting in another element and sometimes it means heightening the excitement of the light and the elements that remain  to make the painting memorable. Sometimes it means failure.This is where LIFE comes in because it is no longer about the still of the set up; it is now about life.

Comments

Popular Posts