April Hours bring May Flowers

The Veranda of Flowers, oil, 11 X 11 in (28 X 28 cm) - Marian Dioguardi 2012
 
All the hours that I am spending in the studio this early spring month are leading me to paint the flowers that will be. These floral works just seem to be "springing" off my pallet knife (and brush!). My plan is to let them happen and present them for May Newton Open Studios (and if they are ready, for the SoWa Art Walk on May 6th)

Some of you may be asking Why flowers and Why now? It's a question that I have been asking myself. For the most part, it's a continuation of my fascination of light on walls. It is also a continuation of my visual love affair with Burano where my laundry line series are based.  Burano is now more accessible to visitors and so the tenor of the neighborhood is changing. Sadly the laundry lines are being moved to the back courtyards and the alleys. In the front of homes, the laundry lines are being replaced by an explosion of flowered window boxes. It's always been in my nature to make the best of what is presented to me. Still in search of my laundry line inspirations but I can't over look the little treasures that I find along the way.

Comments

Unknown said…
More gorgeous works from Marian. I really love the way you paint and draw light and color!! Beautiful!
Grazie, Melinda. you know me...I love the light. I've learned that it is difficult to capture light if you don't capture those mysterious dark shadows along with it.

Popular Posts