The Sunny Side





Here is the progression on making my painting, The Sunny Side, from photo information. The changes I needed to make in the painting that departed from the photo information were: colors, some values, elimination of the objects that were not supportive of my vision, adding objects (such at the two doors on the left) and just old making up some things and spaces because there was no information in the dark areas of the photo. Mostly, I composed with the camera and that was the most important information I used. I was trained on a SLR and I still take composition in the rectangle very seriously.The most important feeling I wanted the photo to remind me (but not show me) was that red bouncing light infusing the alley way. This painting took a very long time to paint. Some things I did in process were not successful and so out they went. There was much trial and error and gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair. But in the end, I did get what I wanted to show you...and it wasn't the photo.

Comments

Popular Posts