La Dolce Vita


Just a little more about making a painting and using a photo reference (but not painting a photograph). Unable to spend months of my time painting in Venice, I start a sketch study on location when I am there and take a photo reference that reminds me of the painting I see in my mind's eye.  The elements that I took away from this scene are the light, the color of the building and  a woman in the window hanging a laundry line. But to make this a painting it had to be composed, the perspective changed, designed and developed.


Painting leads to painting. What surprised me here was how much a simply enjoyed painting the light on the wall. This made me think of  Edward Hopper and his fascination with light on walls. I have a bit of that myself but I 'm not going to wait to paint them as he did. I've started another wall painting and hopefully you will see it next week.



This Sunday the reception for La Dolce Vita will be at Athan's European Bakery and Cafe at 1621 Beacon Street Brookline. The exhibit is curated by John Quatrale in cooperation with Athan's. This selection of work features both  quotidian cups and scenes from Venice; the simple and sweet life made all the sweeter by the extraordinary pastries at Athan's and the sweet strains of Beth Purcell's cabaret singing. Hope you will join us.

Comments

Popular Posts