Summer Studio Happenings



Summer has gone by so fast. One reason it seemed to fly by was that I have been very busy and happy to be busy. The painting above is one of two commissions which I delivered this month. The client titled it One Cup, Two Cup, Red Cup, Blue Cup after Dr. Seuss books. I love that title because The Cat in the Hat was and still might be my favorite book of all times. (I am not kidding!)Tippy, precariously balanced stacks? Some might say they see that in my work.

My painting also took an unexpected and unplanned turn this summer. I am waiting to see what develops. Do the hands follow the heart or does the heart follow the hands? For some reason, maybe because it was a very hot summer, I became very interested in cooler light and colors. It did occur to me that I do paint my hottest colors in mid winter when I need to feel the light. so I am waiting to see how these cooler feelings incorporate into the body of my work or will I have to wait to next summer for the coolness to reappear.

Life size works! It occurred to me that I have NEVER done a stack of cups in life size rather than iconic size. I was looking at some small panels that I had in my studio and I put one and one together. I am working on a series of life size Not So Still Lifes. I do like the way the compositions are working out on a 12 X 6 inch vertical and the colors...well you will have to just see what happens. It's a mix. Stay tuned. I am hoping to have at least three completed by the South End Studio dates; September 16 & 17.

And last but not least I am headed out to Swan's Island on Monday, weather permitting, to "paint up a storm" with my landscape painting friends Will Kirkpatrick and Gene Mackles. I have no idea what I will come back with. Stay Tuned.

Comments

Love the bright bold colors of your work.
Good luck this weekend. I have a friend there, Josie Lawrence. Do you know her. She has her studio in the same building I do in Rockland.
Hi Patricia,
I don't know Josie but I'll try and go out of my way to meet her. Thanks.

Popular Posts