Paintings tell you what they want.




A picture is worth a thousand words.
For the Newton Art Association demonstration, last February, I painted this still life on a green background and the red plate. The red just looked so strong. I only had eyes for red. Months later this painting hung at the Brickbottom show, FEAST. It was there that is started speaking to me. The green was overpowering the red. That's hard to do but I couldn't deny it was happening.

I thought of cutting down and re-stretching the canvas so I took it home and hung it on my wall.It was there that I realized that the painting wanted to be blue; more than want..NEEDED blue. Having nothing to lose, I brought the painting into my studio and changed the background from imagination. To my eye it completely transformed the piece. I like it and the painting is happy. Paintings tell you what they want.As artists, we have to learn to listen.

Dimensions are 24 by 24 inches

Comments

Popular Posts