Experience the Mysterious


After weeks of being away from the easel preparing for exhibits and open studios, I have returned to the work I left behind; my laundry line series. I have always been fascinated with shadow colors and more recently found a desire to paint back lit objects. Back lighting makes painting much more challenging. With that in mind, I set off to do the first of two paintings from the back courtyards of Burano. These are quiet places with interesting but quiet color and light at the end on the day.

This is the painting that has been emerging. It feels very different than my previous work. There is something that is profoundly changing here but I don't know what it is. When this happens, I find it best to "go with it". The underlying changes I am feeling may remain in my next work or disappear entirely or reappear years later to influence my work. Sometimes it feels like someone else is painting my picture. When this happens it can be blamed or credited to the "Muse".

This painting is not completed. I have NO IDEA where it is going, which is so unlike the way I usually work. But as Einstein said " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." My eyes are open. I see it but I have no idea what I am looking at! The adventure continues.

Comments

Popular Posts