From Start to Finish - Next Stage




What's different here from the where I last left off?

I added another plate underneath the original base plate. Why? because as much as I prepare for a painting, a painting takes own its own life. It speaks to me in some way. At the end of a painting day it is a whisper of what the painting might need "maybe something to break up that background color field, a little something extra...".

However, I usually hear what a painting needs loud and clear when I wake up the next morning: "Get another plate in there and make it a sweet color to cut those sour colors". When I get back into my studio I have to talk myself into making the change.
I ask myself "is it REALLY worth changing the painting? Do I really need it"? And as usual the answer comes back "of course I do, it will make the painting better".

So out came more plates. Colors were tried. The right color was found because I know it when I see it. The still life set up was changed. The drawing corrected and the painting got a little further along. Stay tuned.

Comments

Heather Whiting said…
I see what you mean. I did not think there was anything wrong with the composition before - and I still don't - but I can see that the extra plate does make a difference. I can't wait to see what the colours are. :)

Popular Posts