An end to cultural elitism? Who knows?


I don't know the answer to this question. There is a very provoking commentary in the Globe today written by Neal Gabler.
However, I have been thinking about this very question every time that I hear that a gallery is closing. I always wonder what went wrong? Or are people just out there looking for art on their own through the Internet, word of mouth, finding it when it intersects their busy life and just having fun at all the open studios. People should have confidence in what they like. After all, I do believe you should ultimately buy the art that will make you happy..for what ever reason it does make you happy.That's why I paint.

I continue to paint my "Here's Looking at Life-Laundry Lines on Burano" polyptych. But I was dropped by a gallery once for painting Laundry Lines. The gallery owner saying that 'people in my town don't even know what a laundry line is , never mind looking at other people's dirty clothes". I didn't argue or even tell the gallerist that there are clean clothes on laundry lines! I just crept away and kept painting...my laundry lines. Three years later, I had two solo shows in other galleries...featuring laundry lines. So in those black moments of self doubt I wonder; "Who is going to want laundry lines?". I then find a smile on my face as I think; "I do" . I continue to paint away. No one ever accused me of being an elitist and I do know what I like.

Comments

Popular Posts