Conclusion of the Concord Art Association Demo



I want to do a bit of an instructional post here to conclude my 2 hour demonstration at the Concord Art Association on October 27th.

In one image you can see the under-drawing of the still life that is lit on the table...all edible pumpkins. In the next image, I am painting and talking and looking and painting and talking. Thank you to Helen Powell for these images taken during the demonstration. And finally, the completed painting which was finished, after 12-15 more hours of work, back in my studio. I cannot paint a painting from start to end in two hours. Pallet knife painting is very slow.

This painting was done on linen and because the surface is very different than the hard surface that I am used too, I used a brush about half the time and I applied the paint with the pallet knife the other half of the time.

I needed to make some color and temperature adjustments when I brought this set up back to my studio because the light there is different than Concord's gallery. So I started by checking colors and temperatures on the colors and corrected them.

After I get a good drawing on the canvas, I do look at the still life for references BUT I look MORE at what I am painting. When all is said and done, the still life is taken away, the pumpkins are cooked and what you are left with is the painting.

And my composition goes edge to edge. That is a design that appeals to me. Tere is no room for a frame but if someone wanted to frame the painting...thank goodness for floating frames that allow the entire composition to be appreciated.

I kept seeing more and more colors in the "blue pumpkin" and so I painted them in there until I couldn't see anymore. Please feel free to email me and ask me any questions about how I got from the starting point to the completed painting. I'll be happy to answer your questions.

This painting will be at the SoWa First Friday Open Studio on November 5th from 5-9 pm, if you want to see it in person. I am in Studio 223B at 450 Harrison, Ave, Boston, Ma. Parking is free.

Comments

Angela Sullivan said…
Nothing about your art is simple. It evokes emotion and peace. Love it

Popular Posts