Ars longa, vita brevis


"Ars longa, vita brevis. - Art is long, life is short."

That is not the title of my new painting (copyright 2010) above, this painting will be hanging at the Gallery at Boston Art and Framing, 100 Charles Street, Boston, MA from December 8 th through January 22 nd 2011 in a still life show curated by Pamela Sienna. The opening will December 9th during the festive and fun Beacon Hill HolidayDecember Stroll . You can stroll on in and be inspired and nourished by the beautiful art and refreshed with food and libations. All that is needed then is just a little snow to make it picture perfect.

The Latin quote above struck a cord this morning on many levels. All artists hope to have our art live beyond death. But also, in owning art, life beyond the artist occurs. Over the years I have bought contemporary art of my peers and it has always made me fell important to be partaking in preserving the culture of the time in which I was born ..

In addition, at home, I have the honor of living with paintings that touched my mother-in law's life. It's interesting because, though I feel a thread of connection with the artists who created the art, I feel more of a connection to her life because of the paintings with which she chose to live . The art she so telling of who she was and what she wanted out of life. She is living with us through the art she bought!

There is something magical about buying an original piece of art. One becomes a guardian of culture but then you become known by it as well. Through buying art, you do share the artist's vision but then, by virtue of placing in on your walls, it becomes imbued and synonymous with your own life. Think about giving the gift of art this year because, as it is said: Art is long, life is short. And I say, a life shared through art is forever.



Comments

Popular Posts