Success, Struggle and Failure:all in a day's work


My apologies for not keeping a post a week going but Life happens. I will do better. I promise. This post is about a little bit of this and that.

Success: my painting shown here, the Big Bold Cup Stack was accepted into the Concord Art Association's Regional Roddy Competition juried and curated by Victoria Munroe of Victoria Munroe Fine Art, Newbury Street, Boston. I am really always very honored to be accepted into this competition which is open to all artists. This year 95 pieces of art were selected out of 500. The juror, Victoria Munroe must have to work very hard. I cant imagine being able to do this and then hang the show. Thank you to everyone at the Concord Art Association for all your efforts and hard work. The reception is Sunday, September 19th from 2-4 pm. The exhibit runs through October 17th. Awards will be given.

Struggle: well, as you know I am painting a Top Secret new subject which has really challenged my eye. I am about five paintings into the project and with every new painting comes a new problem which challenges my abilities, spirit and motivation. This is space is where many give up and go back to painting just a good simple beautiful piece of fruit. I feel the draw.
This project is not about fun anymore. It's about a vision and the will and struggle to overcome the obstacles to realize that vision, regardless of success or failure. As an artist, to make art, you have to want to struggle more than you want to paint.

Finally, Failure: I had an idea (always more ideas than time). I wanted to see if I could develop a painting theory. (Here I am going to get technical but I hope I don't bore everyone.)
I wanted to paint a painting and for the lightest lights, use only one primary color (red, blue yellow) and white.
For the medium values areas (not light nor dark), I wanted to use only the secondary colors (orange green violet) plus white
And for the darkest areas, use tertiary colors (red orange, yellow green, green blue etc.)

So I actually made two failed attempts at this system before it was called to my attention by Stapleton Kearns that I need to add tone (which means adding black) . Bingo! I believe this will work. Back to the painting board. Remember: If you are not having failures you are not trying hard enough.

Comments

Popular Posts