From Basement to Basement

Who did this? I do. Would you believe I do this?

And I am showing this work on paper, done with gouache over digital print for the first time in an Alternate Art Space at the Art Emporium, at 32 Chestnut Street , Needham, MA. Hours are Monday to Friday 10AM to 5:30PM, Saturday 10AM to 5PM, Closed Sunday. (781)449-6722.

I was invited to submit this work for THE BASEMENT PROJECT by my friend and ex student of sorts, Mike Finnegan. He knew about this secret life. This work is being exhibited along with Diana Vosburg and Mike Finnegan. all of us are showing our alternate work in this alternate space. Diana had done an installation, Mike has done conceptual abstracts and I have done these painted musings. The theme that brings us together digital communications and wondering where the clouds of data,words and information can and will take us. Digital is no longer relegated to the realm of science; it is now the most powerful social force. To know and be known.

I do this work when I need a break from the observable. I allow my mind and hand to wander and explore without any pre conception. I use an digital giclee taken of a magnified common object. Then with gouache and brushes I respond with simple mark making and let it all take me away.

Here, I am exploring unconscious patterns and symbolic paths of transmission, migration and mutation; be they electronic bits, seeds, cells, words, cultural memes or information. In the process of replicating marks, an unintentional alteration inserts itself. It's beyond control and yet within the dispersion of these disparate packets there is coalescence, a connection, and creation. It's all mysterious to me; why I am compelled to do this and what happens to the piece.

All these pieces have been done over several years in and done when I can do it and when I want to. Some pieces have been sold over the years and several pieces were commissioned by the Children's Hospital Research Center but they have never been in an exhibit.

Comments

Popular Posts