Somewhere Over the Rainbow


Well, here you have it, somewhere over the rainbow, where Dorothy sees my painting in color for the first time. Is anyone surprised that I used red here? Probably not, since that is an important color in my aesthetics. This little dear painting ( 12 in X 6") has not been varnished, which in other posts, I have mention that the varnishing intensifies the colors much like water makes beach pebbles shine and glow. That will come later after it has had a chance to dry.

So? What Am I doing NOW? Well, I have been painting the objects for my Top Secret project. I decided that I will call my show "So , what are you doing now?" Because this is what most people ask me when they see me.

Life can imitate art. This project started because I found this object to be somewhat repulsive yet compellingly beautiful when I started out with the idea. Now, I have so much more respect for it and I am beginning to develop a love for it. Will it turn into a passion? Goodness! So that is what is happening as I make this object and then I paint a painting of it. I am getting better at making it. (I'm telling you, it's not that easy.)

And I am getting better at painting it's essential nature. I have to say here, that this is the most abstract painting I have done. To make Top Secret look real, I have to make it look abstract. I have had to lose much of my hard , graphic edge but I continue to paint with the pallet knife.

As I get an understanding of what gives this object it's true nature, I may be able to simplify itin to a more graphic representation: or painting this way may change the nature of my other paintings. You know, if you paint with an open mind and an open eye, art happens.

August 6th is another First Friday Open Studios at 450 Harrison Ave, Boston. Free Parking. Come on down to Studio #223B. Love to see you all.

PS. In between painting Top Secret, I continue to do my still lifes, as I come across them and I am working up studies for my new laundry line series which I am hoping will be done in May.

Comments

Popular Posts