Painting inTom Thomson Territory



Tom Thomson is my favorite landscape painter. We were both born on August 5th. And strangely enough, over the last three years, I have been invited to Cache Lake,Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario to the campsite of friends. Algonquin Provincial Park, then a logging camp was the three season home of Tom Thompson and the Group of Seven.

Now, I have a real affinity for Tommy, as I call him, because he never painted at the park in the summer. He painted Fall, Winter and Spring, when shapes and color and sky dominate. In the summer he would head back to his studios and work up his studies into master works.

Alas, the summer is for green. He didn't do green (smart!). I , on the other hand , don't have a choice; so it's painting summer time green up there for me.

I was up there for five nights. The campsite has been in my friend's family for sixty years. There is no running water (lake water only), there is no electricity (kerosene lamps light), wood burning stove and out houses. I had fun giving lessons to my hostess and a young boy, a guest from Glasgow. The cooking is four star and the beauty and peace on the lake is beyond description. Unfortunately for me it's SO beautiful I just cant do it justice. So "Practice" is what you get when you don't get a painting.
I got some practice in.

The top painting is the tree across from the campsite deck. This painting is 11 X16 inches.
The painting below that is the view out to the left, into a cove. This painting is 6 X 8 inches

Comments

Popular Posts