What to do with a New Idea

Many artists, clients and friends often ask me in he course of friendly conversation; "Any thing new that you are working on?" And over the years I have told them about the series that I am working on at the time. Typically my series have been, Still and Not So Still Lifes, Laundry Lines and Building scapes. These subjects have proven to be compelling subject matter that consistently propel my work forward, exploring the themes, the colors and the shapes which these subjects provide.

One fateful day, I found myself thinking about aparticular thing in a disparaging way;"I'd never have that in my house BUT it would be really beautiful to paint." The next question I asked myself was "Why not paint it?". The obvious answer was because the subject matter is too idiosyncratic but the fact that it is a compelling, visually beautiful object has overridden my good sense. The fact that I have not been able to find other painters out there painting this subject should tell you something..... I mean , I have done several internet searches and I have come up with nada.

The new dilemma is; now that I have started painting a whole series of this subject, will I do it justice, can the overall reaction to the subject matter be supplanted by a beautiful and happy painting and will I have the guts to show it?

One artist friend in whom I confided rightfully asked me the most important question :"So what do you want people to think when they look at these paintings" And My answer was I want them to think;"I might not like __________ BUT it IS beautiful. The painting makes me happy "

I paint it because I have to. And so it goes.

PS I am also working up my next laundry line series, ready for May 2011 Newton Open Studios?

Comments

Popular Posts