An Almost Done




Here is a quick post this morning showing the monochromatic study I did in preparing for my still life. The purpose of that study is to think out the big problems. However, painting reveals other problems. I changed the handle of the red cup, adjusted the background and eliminated the shadow and incremental changes and decisions which all got me to go where I wanted to go. And as always, I put the finishing touches on, after the still life was removed and I looked as the painting as my impression of the still life. Technically, I am told this makes me an Impressionist, but I don't want to go there.

Also in this image, we have the oil paint colors drying at different rates. Since I do not use a medium , some patches here look shiny while others look flat. When the painting is dry, it will all look matte. And that's where varnish comes in, to restore the juiciness and protect the paint. In about a month or so you can visit this painting on my website, the colors will look cleaner and sharper.

This Friday, March 5th is the First Friday Open Studio 5 -9 PM at 450 Harrison Ave. My studio is 223B. Come on by and say "Hi".

Comments

billspaintingmn said…
Marian, your play of colors and the way you stack these cups is fun and interesting!
You've inspired me to pull out my palette knives, and give 'em a try!
Love your art!
Hey thanks Bill,
I have a big variety of pallet knives but it's funny because I have three favorites I keep going back to. So if you don't like the one you are using, try another..they feel very different.

I AM having a lot of fun working this new cup series. I need the fun 'cause my other project/subject is beating me up.But I'm working on it and I do mean work!
Art Trip said…
Did a few monochromes AFTER the colors and paired them. I thought they looked pretty cool together.
Yup....that works too.Cool is cool.

Popular Posts