Work shops



Here is a little painting Moka Maker; Thinking of Spring time Cafes) which I finished recently. I'll be showing it for the first time at SoWa First Friday, February 5th. The Yin and Yang painting will also be there but it's not yet dried and varnished. Not quite ready for delivery but you can see it in the paint. The studio,223, will be open BUT I won't be there. I'll be in the White Mountains preparing for the painting workshop known as Snow Camp W under the instruction of Stapleton Kearns. Last weekend they painted in -10 weather. I am hoping for the 20's but I believe I have the proper clothing and equipment. I shall see.

Typically I am a studio painter. I like to be with my own thoughts working on painting problems in my own little space all alone. BUT it's not good to get too comfortable in your own little world. It can become too little. So every once and awhile I like to rouse myself out of the studio and be challenged by another artist, subject or technique. And if the experience doesn't kill me-it makes me stronger.

I have started on my new subject. It's still a secret. I thought I would fail and then I could tell you all about it. I thought I would succeed and then tell you all about it. As it remains, it's challenging and promising and I'm going to keep it a secret until I decide what I am going to do for showing the work. I would like to have about 20 pieces to show by fall and have an opening in my Boston Studio.But...????

Comments

Alice said…
What you say about your new work makes me very very curious!! I am looking forward to seeing it!
Alice (From Italy)
billspaintingmn said…
Marian, I just read your comment over at Stapes, and decided to check out your blog.
This new post, or painting here is great!
Did you paint this with a palette
knife?
Either way it is a fun to look at piece. Very interesting & real!
I like "cliff hangers" so I'll be back to see this secret painting:)
Hi Bill,
Yeah..All of my paintings are done with pallet knife. One day my A teacher, Ed Stitt, had us all do a painting "exercise" using pallet knife. I didn't know how to paint then but I did know how to frost cakes. So I was a natural at using the knife and I never went back to a brush. Even Stape, after watching me work said that 'there wasn't anything that a brush could do that a pallet knife couldn't". But I really loved watching him handle all those brush strokes. It made we want to give brushes another try.

Popular Posts