New Starts




I have started on a fresh still life series. This is being painted along with my super secret series. (The update on THAT project is; I finished four small paintings, all which highlighted to me the challenges, the quirkiness and the fun). I am pretty sure that no gallery would touch my secret quirky series. I can see why they might perceive it as too challenging to sell. So it's my fun and their loss. Sometimes a girl has to paint what a girl has to paint and that all there is to it.

Anyway, here is the start on my next stack painting. The still life set up took me about two hours to set up. Setting up a still life like this up entails deciding cup shapes, cup colors, cup order, balance and tension in the composition, back round color and lighting. I paint every painting as if it were for me and going to hang in my home to be seen everyday. Some decisions can be intuitive and quickly taken care of. Others are very thought out. When I started my study I changed arrangements three times. Some elements of the composition make themselves more apparent during the discovery of drawing and have to be dealt with. My paintings may be "happy" paintings but there are no "happy accidents" just happy decisions. And I really dislike working from photos;there is no discovery in copying a photo. For me there is a magic, the discovery, which happens while drawing with the hand , the mind and heart from real life. It's not always a "perfect" drawing but neither is life perfect.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love reading all the 'thoughts' going on behind 'the scenes.. really interesting..this painting turned out so amazing in your last post!!

Popular Posts