NEW YEAR - NEW PAINTING




Its' 2010 and with all that New Year celebrations -eating Chinese Food, I was struck by the difference in the take out boxes from my two favorite Chinese food Restaurants. The traditional white box is that of Sichuan Gourmet
(a very traditional and authentic Sichuan Province restaurant) and the cool black lacquer looking box is from the South End's own Myers & Chang (a cool, funky and very personal interpretation of Chinese etc.). It struck me that the black - white take out and the old - new food differences were a Yin and Yang; both making a whole in my Chinese foods tastes. Both boxes are beautiful, each in there own way and so is the food. Hence all the inspiration for this painting study (which I fully intend to do larger than life size at some point this year).

You will see the photo of the still life I have set up to express Yin and Yang. Then I did a very basic line drawing to place the objects and look at the shapes which will make up the composition. Also the drawing functioned as my means to determine the proportions of the piece. Happily it suits itself to an 8" X 10" panel.

Next I did a corrected drawing in paint. This is more accurate (always learning from my mistakes) and a little more fleshed out, in black and white.

What I expect will happen is that the painting will show you the differences in color from what a photo shows and what my eye sees and I decide to paint. Stay tuned.
Tomorrow I will post my painting progress.

Comments

Popular Posts