Fall's Final Farewell to Color



The Blue Berry Barrens


I thought it was finished;the fall colors brief and beautiful. I was wrong. Will Kirkpatrick and I hunted down the flaming wild blueberry barrens of Maine. One barren more beautiful than the other.

I have never been in Maine so late and I never experienced the turning of the blueberry barrens. It took my breath away and I decided this is what I was meant to paint. Not that my paintings will become standard by which blueberry barrens are judged but because I get to stand all day in late October and look at them. And the blue berries themselves are the real things I remember being given on my birthday in a bowl of cream from my Uncles' own hidden spot in Malden, MA.

My little paintings were started in the field and finished in the studio where memory makes them all the more real. I was finally happy painting the landscape.

Comments

Popular Posts