Plien Air work




Longfellow's Wayside Inn

This was the scene of another plien air painting day with Will Kirkpatrick. Autumn is the time to paint outside(for me )..the green is fading, other colors are popping, the light is warmer and lower, the shadows are longer.It's all good.

I was especially lucky in that Will wanted to do a structure, the Wayside Inn and the Mill.I can't wait to do the Mill. I love solid objects in the landscape to counter the organic wildness of foliage. Though, I am feeling more confident about imposing a design on the foliage to get it under control. I drew and painted this from life, planning out the composition and painting in basic blocks of the major colors. I finished it up in my studio today. I invented the light ambiance and I finished the little details such as window panes, the flag, the fallen leaves. Shown above is the painting and all my painterly decision. The other is the photograph from which I took my details. Will and I expect to be showing our work out at the Wayside Inn this Saturday as invited artists from 10 to 2PM. We will be painting on site. Hope to see you!

Comments

Popular Posts