Process and Pain





Will Kirkpatrick and I have a canopy tent which we paint under when painting in the rain or beating sun. This set up was on the Concord Art Association's temporary home at the Samuel Brooks House, Concord, Ma. looking over at the Noah Brooks Tavern and their field along with heritage breed cattle.

It rained all the day. The rain was heavy. The rain was light. The cattle came. The cattle went. Painting was a struggle that day. And just as we packed up..the light broke behind us and put the barn into late day light. That was the scene I wanted to paint. So the next day, in my studio, I painted in the light as I remembered it, using a quick digital image for reference (that does absolutely nothing for color.) Then the bull debate started. I painted in a brown bull. I didn't like it so I took it out. I was almost satisfied with it. However after "sleeping on it" bull or no bull, I woke up with the vision of a black and white bull. That's where it ended up. See for yourself. What do you think?

Comments

Khali said…
I like the black and white bull too.
I just found you through the "project laundry list" website...you're laundry tiles prompted me to google your name and visit your webpage. I have really enjoyed reading your painting philosophy. And I especially liked your examples of how you progress through a painting . Thanks for a great, lazy, Saturday morning.
Hi Kahli,
I haven't been to my blog in a while because I so infrequently get readers. Hope to update it soon and thanks for reading and commenting!
julie susanne said…
Hi Marian,

This is a nice piece. And, yes, it's definitely the black and white bull that adds to the scene.

Popular Posts