Going Ons and Updates





It's time for a blog. I have just finished and hung up my work for Still Life-Not Dead Yet, a group show at Brickbottom Gallery.www.brickbottomartists.com It's an interesting show with diverse artists who continue to work in the still life tradition while making it contemporary to their life. The show is up through April 4th. Here are you can see three of my pieces. They are all fairly large. "La Dolce Vita" is 46" x 46". "Good to the Last Drop" is 46" X 46" and last but not least "Stacked and Ready" is 48" x 32".I love painting large with pallet knife. I don't just have an intellectual relationship with the painting, I have a physical relationship with it. I am only 5'1" so painting large just doesn't involve using my eye and my hands. Painting on a large scale involves, arms, legs , step ladders, squatting on the floor etc. There is a lot of investment in the time,the energy, and the commitment to doing a large piece but I find it exhilarating and challenging.

After a series of large paintings, I typically go back and paint small life size objects. That's where I am now. To my surprise, I find myself using brushes more than I have in the past with hese smaller paintings. It will be interesting to see whether I continue to reach for brushes as I return to large scale work.

The "Really Big News" is that I have taken additional studio space with my husband- photographer, at 450 Harrison St Boston in the SoWa art and gallery district.One reason is that I am really trying to set up time to work on encaustic pieces and I find it difficult to set it all up in my studio which needs to also accommodate my oil set up. Also I have not had much confidence that I can ventilate properly in my dungeon studio but I can in the new studios space. And it will help me to get out of my routine as an oil painter to pursue such a different medium. I should be working in the new studio space by the last week in March. 450 Harrison is also know for First Fridays nhttp://www.sowaartistsguild.com/.So come on by. You'll be the first to see my new oil works and hopefully my encaustic experiments.

Comments

Popular Posts