Visuals inspired by the olifactory


To follow on my last blog...that fresh air smell on sheets. I was inspired to compose a little painting I titled "Sweet Dreams". This painting is a pastiche of images and colors, real and imagined, from Burano-Venice. The juxtaposition of the shocking pink against green is true. The green in the painting has been changed to a green I love, rather than the "Kelly" green of the existing building in Burano. The window here is also borrowed from another building. Digital images are useful as references but a painting copy of digital image does not art make. There have been too many digital image paintings going around these days that leave me empty and that are not to my "taste". That says more about me than it does about the copies, some of which do show real patience and a type of virtuosity. But I ask myself "Is it not the artist's responsibility to bring something personal to the art beyond photo shop? "

On another subject, I am honored to be a juror for Project Laundry List's "Art on a Line Comptetion. "Project Laundry List is seeking submissions of all varieties of artwork to be judged from digital images for its Art On the Line competition. The year's competition celebrates Project Laundry List's mission of making air-drying laundry acceptable and desirable as a simple and effective way to save energy.To check out current entries, join us at Project Laundry List’s Art on the Line Flickr Group." http://www.laundrylist.org/index.php/art/66-artcontest
I showed you myr art, now show me yours!

Comments

Gregory Becker said…
I love your clothesline work. When I grew up we used to hang our clothes outside and I still remember the the way they felt when you first put them on. I can still smell them. Your painting takes me back.
I also remeber when My Mother would wash the white sheets and how the wind picked them up. I actually used to sit and watch that and think about ships sailing on the ocean.
What a memory. Thank you.
Hi Gregory,
Did you find me through Stapleton Kearns' blog. I enjoy our chats there too. I don't very often get readers so I have been a bit amiss in keeping up my site. I'll try and do better. thanks for checking in with me.
Gregory Becker said…
Yes I have seen your comments on Stapes blog. He gets alot of traffic. But thats where I first saw your name. I mostly use my blog as an online journal and connect with people. I'm glad I r4an into you.
julie susanne said…
I really like this piece, "Sweet Dreams." It invokes the memories of the smell of fresh sun-dried laundry. I have been eying my brother's laundry line as an object d'art for some time. On my next visit I may just pack my paints!

Popular Posts