What could make me blog today instead of paint?


I have an interesting story to tell you all and that is why I am on my blog today. On the way home from Thanksgiving in the Catskills, we stopped for lunch, a visit with Duncan Miller the FRM and look see into the Berkshire Art Gallery, specializing in good painters to super good painters, mostly dead American painters, not on the list of "greats" as most people know the list. The art here are not as well known, mostly because of fate and circumstance, not because of lack of talent. www.berkshireartgallery.com (Someday, if we are lucky, when we are dead and gone our work will be in a gallery like this).

Anyway, while browsing, I saw an oil painting that reminded me of a watercolor I painted, in the sixth grade, of a clothesline strung from a brick house with a broken window, a bare tree in a yard behind double deckers and row houses;in short, typical East Boston. (My little water color went on to win a little school art prize somewhere.) Anyway, I went over to this oil painting because a) it was a laundry line, b) I liked the way in which the paint was handled and c) the composition was strong, not to mention a nice harmony of colors.
GUESS WHAT?
The title was Wash Day - East Boston done by Guido Rinaldo Borghi an Ashcan School / WPA / and animal painter. So, I bought it of course! I also saw, online, a painting Borghi did of the White Castle in Chinatown dated 1952 so he must have been around Boston a that time in a time when things didn't change much. East Boston looked much the same in the 40's 50's and 60's and 70's. Guido Borghi was born 1903 and died 1971. I attached the image for you viewing pleasure. I LOVE this painting.

Comments

Popular Posts