The week of a painter isn't always about creating. This week, I received a piece back from my gallery, Rose Gallery, Hudson, NY. The gallerist, Nancy Cobean returned Lilly of the Valley to me because she felt that the shadows were just wrong and the painting was not up to my best. Well she was right of course. After a year of not painting flowers, this was my first floral study. I was more interested in the light and shadows than I was in the flowers. So, I gave myself a stern critique and his is what I did:


First of all the composition was strained. I tried to fit it on a pre-cut board. Not a good start, I broke my own rule. So I cut the board along with parts of the painting off to strengthen the composition.

Next I decided to lighten the shadow, soften the edges and extend the shadow off the picture plain in an attempt to demphasize the strong, almost menacing shadow shape. I am trying to figure all this out without any direct observation and only in consideration of what would make a better painting.

So far so good but not the best it could be ..then I needed more flowers to make the painting about the flowers (Ahh duh). More flowers added. Above you can see the before and after. (The after shot was taken by me and not in any professional way but I think you'll get the idea.)


The remainder of the week was a couple of days of tax preparation, hanging the Artist at the Villa Show in which I am participating at the newton Free Library, shopping for the reception etc. I also spent a day collecting and order and thinking about equipment and information on encaustic painting which is in my plans. On Friday I finally got into the studio to paint. It's Saturday, now and I'm painting.

Comments

Popular Posts