Painting a Clothesline




This all started with a wonderful e-mail from a lovely woman who saw my clothesline painting in the Toronto Globe and Mail as an illustration for an article on air drying clothes (yup, I hang out my laundry to dry whenever possible. It saves energy and just looks beautiful to me..again how to transform a dismal chore into something beautiful. I consider it an art installation).


After a bit of back and forth I decided that I wanted to paint large clothesline paintings and she decided that she was interested in owning one. She referenced one of my paintings as her favorite. I then went into my references from my December trip to Venice and I did a drawing for her. We were off to a good start. But oops, some how we were talking about two different paintings. Her favorite painting was clothing against a GREEN wall. I thought she had referred to a clothesline against a BLUE wall and there was a day in which I had spent six hours mixing blues, scraping them off and trying to get them right (sort of).
Blue, for me, is a very difficult color to mix for a wall being hit with sunlight. If it's a clear blue wall, you really can't use yellow because it turns the wall green and doesn't give you that bright blue feeling, at all. I have been able to do a good blue mix but it is always after so much work and revision. I always feel that it is a struggle. So I was relieved when my client told me that she had never wanted it BLUE and it was the GREEN she spoke of all along. I love painting greens. Easy on the eye and a wide range of greens-blues, reds, yellows and white to play with and get that warm lit feeling. Hooray. So after getting our green references on the same page I have started to paint again.
I can see that there will still be many revisions of clothing color and shapes and elements but I do love the way it is shaping up, Getting the "green light" to go on this definitely brought more joy into it. Stay tuned to see the green revision post.




Comments

Popular Posts